The program is indicated for amblyopic age 9 and up, with best corrected vision between 20/30 and 20/200, there is no limitation on refraction. Eye deviation should not exceed 8° prism diopter. The goal of the amblyopia program is to improve best corrected vision.
- Improves VA (2+ VA lines on average)
- Improves CS (100% on FACT sine wave on average)
- Improves Stereo Acuity & Binocular functions
- Eye deviation exceeding 8° prism diopter
- Unstable vision/ vision fluctuations
- Severe untreated attention disorder
- BCVA up to 20/100 (6/30) – Unilateral amblyopia
- BCVA up to 20/200 (6/60) – Bilateral amblyopia
- Any amblyogenic background
- Cognitive intact
- Motivated to complete 40 training sessions in a 3-month period
- Patient has to be best corrected, adapt prior to training, and wear the correction all day through the training period
- If anisometropia is higher than 3.5 diopters, patient should be prescribed with contact lenses only.
- Training is done while the dominant eye is blurred with semi-transparent white cover
- Patient should keep the blurred eye open underneath the cover
- Bilateral amblyopia – starts with 2 eyes open. After 40 sessions, once the dominant eye gains stable improvement, reset the program and ask the patient to start monocular training to maximize vision in the weaker eye.
- 40 training sessions
- Follow up exam is recommended after 20 and 40 sessions
Remark: this is a stand-alone therapy, there is no need to combine with patching therapy.
Clinical Follow up:
- BCVA distance
- Stereo acuity (Randot or Titmus fly)
- Binocular functions (Worth 4 dot)
- Contrast Sensitivity (FACT sine wave test) – recommended
Example of patients with high need for the program includes:
- Patient missing 1-2 VA lines to qualify for driving license
- Bilateral amblyopia
- Loss of vision in the dominant eye due to disease or trauma
- Late diagnosis of children age 9+
- Patient missing 1-2 VA lines to qualify for specific work criteria (Pilot/Army/ Police/ Air Traffic Control etc.)
- Professional athletes